The prospects have done everything in their power to move up draft boards. All-star showcase games, Combine, Pro Days: all complete. Hundreds of mock drafts from experts all over the nation: complete.
All that’s left to do is sit and wait for the first round of the 2016 NFL Draft to kick-off in Chicago tonight at 8 P.M. (eastern time).
For those of you watching at home, or following along online, here’s a slew of questions/headlines to monitor closely in this weekend’s 7-round draft:
1. Goff or Wentz at Rams’ No. 1 pick? If it’s Goff, Wentz will likely be going to the Eagles at No. 2. If it’s Wentz, Goff will likely be going to the Eagles at No. 2. Either way, we’re about 98.2% sure that the two signal callers will go 1-2.
2. Will we see two cornerbacks go in the top 5? At this point, I think it’ll come down to either CB Jalen Ramsey or OT Laremy Tunsil for the Chargers at No. 3. If it’s Tunsil, Dallas should snag Ramsey (right now they seem to be targeting RB Ezekiel Elliott). But the Jacksonville Jaguars, at No. 5, also need a corner. Could we see both Ramsey and Florida standout CB Vernon Hargreaves III go in the first five picks? That sure would be something.
3. How far does Notre Dame LB Jaylon Smith fall? Smith is a top-10 talent, but he’s likely to miss the 2016 season. Will he still get selected as a long-term project by a team in the first round this evening, or will he fall to Day 2 on Friday?
4. How many Ohio State players will go in the first round? Joey Bosa, Ezekiel Elliot, Taylor Decker, Darron Lee, Eli Apple, Vonn Bell. These are all guys who could end up going in the first round, with Bosa and Elliott expected to go in the top 10. But could all six of these guys go in the first 31 picks?
5. How far does Myles Jack fall? Jack is another guy who, like Smith, is a linebacker battling an injury. While Jack isn’t expected to miss the ’16 season, it still is serious enough that teams are concerned. He’s also a top 10 talent, but could potentially fall out of the top 15 or 20 picks. It’ll be interesting to see if he drops once the draft kicks off.
6. What will Dallas do at No. 4? As I mentioned above, the Cowboys are looking into possibly selecting Elliott out of Ohio State. But if Jalen Ramsey is on the board, they shouldn’t hesitate to snag him (San Diego is considering OTs Laremy Tunsil and Ronnie Stanley at No. 3). But there’s also been talk of DE Joey Bosa. And this is Dallas, you just never know what owner/GM Jerry Jones will decide to do once he’s on the clock. Who knows, maybe they’ll even trade out of the spot!
7. Who will be the first wideout taken? There’s plenty of talent at the top of the receiver position, but I’m not sure a receiver will be taken in the top 15. My guess, as for first guy taken, would be Ole Miss WR Laquon Treadwell, possibly to the Detroit Lions, Minnesota Vikings or Cincinnati Bengals.
Photo: Christian Petersen/Getty Images